Friday, November 22, 2013

There is a wind chill warning for tomorrow. Wind chill of -10º F. expected.

The Prairie Princess is off to a concert tonight, but I was able to convince her to pose for a photo in her concert garb before she left. She was modeling high heeled toeless shoes before she settled on more practical shoes. I suggested woolen socks to go with her outfit, because it's only 30º, but she rejected that completely out of hand. This outfit looks pretty good.


I've been listening to all the media talk about the anniversary of JFK's assassination on November 22, 1963. I remember hearing the reports soon after getting out of bed while at Hamline where I was a junior. I had had an 8 a.m. math class, and, as was my practice at the time, I went back to bed after class to finish my night of sleep. I remember a bit of disorientation and a feeling of otherworldliness. It was Friday and it was an odd weekend, with TV watching and a memorial service at the college.

What I don't remember and what I just learned lately was that on that date two other memorable men died - Aldous Huxley, of "Brave New World" fame, and C.S. Lewis, author of "The Chronicles of Narnia. No one noticed.

An interesting fact about Clive Staples Lewis, "At the age of four, shortly after his dog Jacksie was killed by a car, he announced that his name was now Jacksie. At first, he would answer to no other name, but later accepted Jack, the name by which he was known to friends and family for the rest of his life."  I love Wikipedia.

I came home from tennis and NCW was here. Her ankle has recovered enough so that she's able to drive and is almost ready to dance. Her physical therapy doesn't include any dancing, but her doc recommends some time on a stationary bicycle. Or is that "stationery".

Just call me "Tag."

1 comment:

Santini said...

Tag, Nice post. Say hello to NCW from me. I'm glad she's healed up enough to make that drive.

There starting to stay things like "those who are old enough to remember" remember where they were when JFK was shot. Another sign of the passage of time, when most of the news anchors aren't old enough to remember that awful day.