Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Who are these people?

I found an old photo today as I was tidying up my desk. Apparently someone sent me this years ago and I hadn't scanned it into my computer. Since I've been in scan mode for the last few weeks, I scanned this one in, too. This time I used a flat bed scanner of some vintage, but it seems to have done the job pretty well.

The photo seems to be of a significant event, perhaps confirmation into church adulthood, perhaps a school graduation. In any case, I think that the two youngsters to the far right are my mom's Aunt Minda and her Uncle Jake, siblings of her mom, Hansine Hansen. I think it must have been taken between 1903, when they came to America, and 1913, when Hansine married Richard Anderson. And probably taken in Wisconsin within walking distance of Little Yellow Lake in Burnett County.  They are all dressed in their best finery.  There is also a display of photos directly behind them, photos that may give a hint or two who is here and what is going on.  I love old photos.  This one is probably a hundred years old.


Not much else to report today, except that I tried a recipe from the family experimental cooking blog - Wireless' Stuffed Acorn Squash.  I admit to taking some liberties with the ingredients, but the result was spot on delicious.  I think that the Prairie Princess, who also partook of the squash, agrees.  The perfect food for a cold day in November, waiting for the next ice storm.

3 comments:

Emily M said...

The history major in me also loves old photos - that's a great one!

Glad the squash recipe was adaptable and delicious! I think lots of things could be added/subtracted and it would still turn out.

BDE said...

So no one smiled in those days? Grim picture, but quite interesting.

gfr said...

Priceless.