Saturday, November 6, 2010

Unusually nice for November

Saturday is usually quite busy around here. Even as a retired guy the activities I participate in rely on the presence and influence of people who actually do productive work. I play early Saturday morning tennis at Wooddale. By early, I mean that we are on the court at 8:30 am. I'm not sure whose idea it was to start then, but the die seems to be cast. Jerry and I were partners today and we both started pretty slow. He was tired and me, well I'm a little bit older and hard to get started. We lost the first set 6-2 and then rallied to win the second 6-3. We played a partial third set, but the next occupants of the court wanted their time and we quit, essentially tied.

The weather was clear and cool, but was warming up and the wind was beginning to blow a little. After some lunch (three bean salad) I went to Como Park to enjoy the afternoon. I think I've photographed everything of interest on the lake circumnavigation, but I took one more shot, partly to demonstrate the weather and partly to have a photo to post here. There were also some ducks and geese hanging around the water's edge - mallards and teal - plus some Canada geese, the scourge of golf courses and other manicured lawns. There were also an unusual number of walkers by the lake, enjoying one of the last nice days before the winter chill sets in.


Unky Herb and the Prairie Princess were around some in the afternoon. We rustled up some tasty vittles for dinner - my new favorite, chicken Marsala and Santini's version of oven baked yams from the Experimental Cooking Blog.  I may yet post the chicken Marsala recipe.

The slide scanning project continued.  I'm up to the spring of 1977.  This box of slides contains photos taken on a vacation to the Yucatan in Mexico.  I'm only scanning about 12 slides from each box at the moment, but it's still a pretty big task.  It's fun and oddly sentimental.  I find it hard to believe that I was once this young.  I chose this photo to represent the trip, partly because it's at the Mayan ruins at Uxmal and partly because it's one of the last photos that I've found wherein I'm sans mustache.  I almost don't recognize this guy.


I don't have that hat or that shirt any more.  Or the gold ring on my left hand.  Changes happen.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Nicely framed shot of the pavilion. The waterfowl don't show up too well -- I have the same problem when I photograph the bay. The birds are part of the experience, being noisy and all, but don't photograph well.

Old photos do evoke old emotions. It is part of why we take the photos, to capture that moment. Still, those were good years. You should remember them fondly. And you were sooooo young looking!