Wednesday, November 17, 2010

High Tech 1978 style

This from 1978 when I was just beginning my working life at Cray Research. I was working on writing an operating system for the IO Subsystem of the Cray-1S (a follow-on to the Cray-1) - at the time the Cray-1 was the fastest computer in the world.  The Cray-1 is in the foreground.  It's the structure with the naugahyde bench.  My co-worker, sitting on the bench consulting the manual, is Dave Judd.


Another view of the computer room. The big blue boxes in the foreground are very fast disk units for the time. Today their capabilities in volume and speed would be dwarfed by flash drives that connect to your PC via a USB connection - available for less than $20 at Target.   At the time we were blown away by their speed and capacity.  The other guys in the picture are working at CRT terminals, probably making software changes to try to fix whatever bugs we were chasing that day.  Larry, Clay, and Don at the left with Dave in the center.


The slide scanning project turns up surprises every day.  I hadn't seen these photos in years, but I'm happy to have come across them and the images of my old friends.

No comments: