Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Snelling Lake with the Princess

It was 68 degrees on my car thermometer as I drove with the prairie princess for a walk in the big state park. Maybe the nicest day of the month and the last time we'll see temperatures over 68 until maybe March. We walked around Snelling Lake, the lake nearest the Fort Snelling State Park entrance that lies in the flight path for the Twin Cities Airport - the Lindbergh one. PP said that she liked to be on top of things so I took her picture on top of this boulder. We didn't know what sort of rock it is, but PP thought there might be a geologist or at least a faux geologist among the readers who could make the call. It looked like old lava to me.


The slide scanning continues. I'm up to 1977 and found some gems, some of which I'll save for other occasions. This was a Miller family reunion and features the remaining siblings of my dad.  From the left: John Miller, Betty Riehle, and Jane Brockett.  I think it was taken in White Bear Lake where Betty used to live.  John was the youngest and also best man at my parents' wedding in 1940.  Betty was the next to youngest and her kids still live in the St Paul area.  Jane, the fourth child, lived in Madison, Wisconsin, for much of her life, but retired to St Petersburg, Florida, where I last saw her.



More tennis tomorrow.  It may even be possible to play outside, but the weather is expected to start to head down towards the normal range later in the week, and I expect we'll continue to play in the bubble at Fort Snelling.

2 comments:

Santini said...

I remember those people.

That's a great photo of the PP. Sounds like a great outing.

Emily M said...

Looks like it was a lovely day to be outside.

I am really enjoying the slides, even when I don't really know the people that well. It's like a time capsule.