Monday, November 22, 2010

This is not Hawaii

The Prairie Princess is back and nearly recovered from her minor case of jet lag. Coincidentally, my scanning project reached the tray when Unky Herb was last in Hawaii. I was there briefly in the meantime, but PP has been there twice. This is a photo from 1981 when we visited Anne and Larry Day on the island of Oahu. It is also the place where Adam took his first solo steps. He was about 11 or 12 months old.


Boy, was this a gloomy, gray day. It almost makes me want to write verse. You know, poetry. There are lots of words that rhyme with gloom, too. Doom, tomb, witches broom. I was outside for a while on a mission to the drugstore, on foot, but in the daytime. Little pebbles of ice were popping out of the air and landing on the ground. The sidewalks were a little slippery, but not like Sunday morning when my neighbor stepped out his front door onto the icy sidewalk and fell down right away. The rescue squad came, but I guess he's ok. Today was better.

My tennis experience last night was not what I had hoped, but it was enough fun, even though we were crushed by a couple of thirty-something players. It was USTA mixed doubles and there is no age distinction, so we did the best we could. Has anyone noticed how fast thirty-something guys can move? I did hold my serve twice (out of four), but it was not the sweetest of nights at St Paul Indoor Tennis. I'm just happy that I was able to get out on the court and compete.

1 comment:

santini said...

It felt a bit like Hawaii here yesterday. 30's this morning, though. And still snow in the forecast for Thanksgiving. It was a brief respite, but a welcome one.