Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Small Town Public Library

It was too dark to go out much today. Instead I continued with the scan project. I did have a fairly long walk in the late afternoon as the weak November sun was giving up and going down. I went to the neighborhood Trader Joe's and browsed around a little, ending up with some lentil soup in a can, some raclette cheese, and some Trader Joe's hummus.

This is a photo on the front steps of the Coleraine public library, taken in 1978. It's one of the 2,509 Andrew Carnegie libraries built between 1883 and 1929, Of these 1,689 were built in the USA.  Notice the required lamp posts, symbols of enlightenment, built in nearly every library.   There were club rooms in the basement where meetings could take place.  There were parties and dances here and as a child I remember that I participated in a magic show, where I did magic tricks for some of my dubious friends and classmates. I must have been about ten.


It also had books, and I used my library card pretty often to borrow books for school and for recreation when times were slow - like in the late fall when the light was beginning to fail.

3 comments:

Tucson Happenings said...

Hi Jim,

I'll be looking forward to comparing blogs on or about December 3rd of this month. Interesting article on small town libraries and the work of the Carneige Foundation.

Retired Professor said...

I spent a lot of time in that library, as well. We read a lot during 'polio season,' as I recall. And I do remember the magic show where you were the star performer.

I must have really liked that shirt. That's 3 or 4 photos that it has shown up in.

Nice post.

Emily M said...

I like the Library photo - I wonder how many of those are still around, acting as libraries. I know there are at least a few in our Twin Cities.