Friday, November 12, 2010

Thanksgiving is rolling around again soon

As the first snowstorm of the season begins to bear down on our fair state, I continue the slide scanning project. I'm still in 1977, apparently a very busy year. It's tray number 15. I think that Thanksgiving was at my house and that Santini and family attended, probably leaving as a snowstorm, much like the current one, began to approach from the west. This is just one of the photos that made me think that Thanksgiving was here. There is also one, not as pretty a photo, but a historic one with John playing the board game, Clue, in the middle of my living room with his kids. It's available for the curious.

This was just 33 years ago.  But more like it was yesterday.  They sure seem like they were having some fun in my living room.


And another photo from 1977. Gino was coaching some kid football players in Highland-Groveland Rec. Assn. (HGRA) along with BIll Nagel and I helped out a bit, too - mostly doing team photos and serving as a blocking dummy. This is the team photo from one of the teams, the 1977 team. I don't remember much about the team or its record, but I suspect they did reasonably well. Gino and Bill always got their attention and they liked playing for their coaches. Maybe Gino still has the stats and the team record.


It's Friday and the summer-like weather is gone. It feels like fall, perhaps the only day of fall before winter sets in tomorrow. I played some tennis at Fort Snelling at around one p.m. I'm starting to get warn down this week for some reason. Maybe it's the new tennis shoes. It was competitive again - two Denis's, a Bill, and me played two sets in 100 minutes and then called off the jam. We even shortened the second set and played the tie breaker at 5-5 so we could finish and go have a sit down.

PP is off on a vacation tomorrow - going to Kauai for a week, where Larry lives - to get some sun, visit Larry and Anne and learn to surf. I'm hoping she brings back some of that tasty pineapple when she returns.

3 comments:

Gino said...

Not HGRA, that's Langford Park 5-6th graders.

Looks like an end of season photo, everyone is dressed for the end of October, not the beginning of September. The picture was taken at Murray field.

Also indicative of the end of the season is that there are 6 stars on each helmet, we were 6-2, 2nd place in the league. I think I have a trophy from that team.

On the left are our brother tackles, Alex kneeling, Misha standing behind him. Next to Misha is David, a guard, number 77 is Chris, our center. On the right end of the back row is Jeff, fullback and linebacker. 34 next to him I cannot remember his first name but his father is now a judge, he played halfback and linebacker. I think I see and recognize Greg and Tommy.

Front row number 18 is Eli, our QB, also safety. Next to him is Mike, I think, I know his last name but prefer not to use it, split end and safety.

Yank missed the photo as did a couple of kids, one in particular I remember as a tight end on offense and defensive end.

There is an unforgettable story about this team involving Nagel and a motivational speech he made before a game against North Dale. Ask me some time.

Jimi said...

Gino - Wow. That was 33 years ago and you still remember that much stuff. Your memory cells are definitely intact. I want to hear the Nagel story. They are always worth hearing. TT

Santini said...

It doesn't look like a good day for Kels to be traveling. According to the weather channel, you guys are getting a ton of snow dumped on you.