Friday, June 22, 2007

Wimby Warning

It was cloudy and threatened to rain most of the day. At Adam's workplace in Edina there was a serious downpour. I was ready to rest from my trek to the roses. I pumped up my bicycle tires to 70 pounds, and the Matrix tires to 32 psi. And I had a walk around Como Park today. I'm using a couple of photos from my files with a theme, far-fetched, but a theme..

Pictures of two representative Norwegians in St Paul.

This is Leif Erikson, the great Viking explorer in statue form on the premises of the state capitol. He never actually made it this far west, not even to Kensington, but there are a lot of people who were willing to pay for this sculpture and have it erected in St Paul.


This depicts Lillie Anderson on Wabasha Street in St Paul, sometime in the late 1930's. This picture appeared in the Dispatch, one of our local newspapers at the time and Lillie got a copy of the photo somehow. On the back of the photo, in her handwriting: "hidden[?] camera picture taken of me walking down Wabasha St. Taken by a Dispatch cameraman. I was whistling and I didn't even notice he was there. Aren't I the funniest looking thing you ever saw. Must be about 6 weeks ago." I've been on Wabasha, but I don't recognize the spot pictured. There have been lots of changes in the last 80 years.


The tennis tournament at Wimbledon begins on Monday. Milagros Sequera is again entered and will start against the blond German Julia Schruff. Roger Federer seeded first and is going for his fifth consecutive championship. Justine Henin is seeded number one among the women. My predictions for this Wimby; Federer in men's singles, Serena Williams as your women's champion.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Nice photos -- good use of a rest day. The America's Cup races start this week again, with New Zealand competing with the Swiss. The Tour de France is starting soon, and I don't even know who I want to win. Or even what team.

I added a sunset photo to my earlier post, partly to see if I could edit the HTML. The sky is currently bright pink, but the battery is dead on my camera.

Emily said...

Very nice photos, I approve. I particularly like the Leif Erickson one...