Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Ride for the Summer Solstice

You can't take a picture of the solstice. Rather, I can't take a picture of a solstice. Maybe you can.

The weather map threatened afternoon storms and the morning was pleasant, so I struck out for a long ride. I haven't been to most of the lake area in Minneapolis this year and it's just across the Ford Bridge. It's a nice ride past Minnehaha Falls, Lake Hiawatha, Lake Nakomis, along Minnehaha Creek to Lake Harriet and up the shore to the Minneapolis Rose Garden. Ah, Roses, the queen of flowers. There were gardeners tending the flowers and strollers enjoying the sights. They have about a brazillion different varieties of rose and they bloom most of the summer and lend their aroma to the area.



There is also a nice fountain in the park. There are brass turtles spewing water into the pools, and roses all around. I snapped the picture, drank some agua and turned for home. I beat the storms by at least six hours.


It was a 24 mile round trip, a two bottle trek, and after yesterday's three sets of tennis, I am plum knackered. I found my locally growing, organic tomato plants waiting for a tenth day photo. They are doing very well and a couple of tiny green tomatoes are forming on its branches. As the monkey said when the train ran over its tail, "it won't be long now." I can almost taste the luscious red goodness.


I found on the internet that Minnesota Rocks number 13," Wave" which was sited at Mounds Park was vandalized a while ago and was removed from the park. Someone didn't like its artistry. This explains why I didn't find that one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good solstice post. Rose garden, fountains (with turtles, no less) and tomato plants. Guess which season of the year? Yep,it's summer. Sounds like a nice long ride. SS

Santini said...

If you agree that muffin tops are the best part of the muffin, and you only plan to eat half a muffin, then it make sense to eat the top half. (I threw the rest away. Sorry, Adam.) But you are not wrong -- there is no right and wrong on this one. If you're going to eat the whole thing, eat the dull part first, while you're hungry and anything tastes good. Then the best part is like dessert. And it is vaguely disturbing that I have given this much thought to how to eat a muffin.