Saturday, June 9, 2007

The Other Paris

I find that the Minnesota Rocks number 9 that I pictured yesterday is more likely number 8 by Lazarus Takawira of Zimbabwe. The place I found it was really the Lower Landing Park. Lourdes Cue's art work is still missing. Sorry. The search will continue. As a bonus I include "St Paul Portasaurus" from the same area of the Lower Landing Park, to replace in our hearts the Grand Avenue dino recently vandalized. They are a promotional campaign by the Science Museum of Minnesota.


I played three sets of tennis doubles this morning at Marie Park. It was a beautiful and calm morning. Calm meaning very little wind. Wilson felt heavy and unresponsive in warm-ups, but he was up to the task and performed admirably 6-1, 6-1, 6-4 with an assortment of partners. Tomorrow's schedule includes a USTA 8.0 Mixed Doubles league match at Nicollet Tennis Center.

In honor of a day when both Kagami-Sensei and Ms. Wireless have blogged on xanga and the 24th birthday of Wireless, I offer the following image from 1985, when we were just getting to know these people. You will note that the 5 year-old super hero is Unky Herb of "Maybe I'm a Lion" video fame. Note the giant legos.


Justine Henin, the Belgian mighty mite won her third consecutive Roland Garros women's single title over Ana Ivanovic 6-1, 6-2, good for 1 million euros. Tomorrow at 8 am CDT the match of unbeatables begins: Nadal against Federer. I continue to endorse Raffy.

The blogger known as Carl Ponanz (only by himself - his name is Ponutz) stopped by for some tea and to look over some old photos that he had recently acquired. We took the opportunity to discuss the old days and some of the weirdness of the world. He also promised to be more diligent in his postings to his blog.

San Antonio Spurs against Lebron James tonight in Game 2.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, these children are SO cute!! I love this picture. Thank you, TT.
BB

Gino said...

I concur with BB about the young people - very attractive grouping.

If I had to spell my recollection of it my spelling would be K-A-R-P-O-N-U-T-Z. Definitely no "N" sound and I also think no "L".

But hey, it isn't my story, the way I tell it is never going to be the primary source.

Anonymous said...

Good tennis results. Federer should do so well. The dinosaur looks quite at home along the river. Boo, hooligans. ~ SS