Friday, June 15, 2007

Spurs sweep

I heard the forecast calling for the 5th straight day of 90's, so I, too, took a morning ride. I finished at 11:58 am. It was fairly pleasant and I haven't been to Fort Snelling on the bike for a long time. I went over the 35E bridge on the way, and, on the bridge, took the picture of a rock-filled barge as it passed in front of the Lilydale Yacht Club. My camera battery gave up the ghost there, so the remainder of the ride was pretty much photo free. The path down into Fort Snelling Park, where the entrance to Pike Island exists, was closed, the sign said, so I took the alternate path along the highway to Minnehaha Falls and the Ford bridge and then up Jefferson towards home. I ran into a pipe smoking biker on the way, a rare breed in these parts, and almost guffawed. He had his own ozone advisory area that he was carrying around with him. An odd piece of behavior for someone biking to stay healthy. I finished the ride with 15.75 miles.


The farmer's market was open by St Luke's Chuch at 1:15, so I stopped to see what they were selling this early in the season. Some guy had tomatoes. He said that he planted them in the ground in February. "They looked fabulous." And there was zucchini and cukes, and snap peas. And lots of onions. I bought tomatoes and zukes.

More scanner fun. You have to love this technology. This is the 1959 issue of GHS tennis team. They don't look much like tennis players except they wield tennis rackets and most are wearing tennis shoes of the day. Name the players and win a "brand new car." (just a match box car, sorry.) If you get the racket makes, there is an old Wilson racket here I'll let you have. There are no Bouchards in the picture, but maybe a Sobczak.


I discovered through google that only gray squirrels are considered vermin in many areas of the country. The red ones are the nice squirrels. This smacks of racism and should be stamped out. Do this google command "squirrels are vermin" for the definitive proof.

San Antonio wins NBA crown in four straight games over Lebron James.

8 comments:

Santini said...

I'll have to google that. I'll start the name game. I should know the first guy, but don't. Then Jack Steebe, unknown, TT, Jim Sobczak, Mike Tok, John Wirtanen, two more guys who look familiar, then Dan Falardeau. Six of ten, 60%. D- is how I'd grade that one.

Santini said...

That could be Dave Olds brother next to Dapper?

Santini said...

Squirrels are vermin. Officially.

Jimi said...

Bob Olds is Dave's older brother - another 2nd addition guy. The tall fence around the courts was still up when this one was snapped. -TT

Jimi said...

First guy is John Mack, first unknown is Tom McWaters, the guy next to Wirtz is David Hill.

I'll have to try easier quizzes.

Pigeons are also vermin.

Santini said...

Good call on the pigeons. David Hill, eh? I would never have guessed that. Can we call poison ivy vermin, or does it just apply to animals?

Gino said...

What's a John Mack? I was going to guess McWaters, I thought he might be there someplace. But I have zero recollection of what he looked like. For some reason I remember that he threw the ball very high on his service toss. Steebe? I knew he looked familiar. Sobczak? Who knew? And Mike Tok you say. Well now that you tell me, OK, I can see that but before you told me I was going to guess Sobczak. Doesn't he look vaguely Eastern European? Like a Russian border guard or something? Surprisingly I might have gotten Olds but I didn't so . . . And what's a David Hill?

Jimi said...

David Hill was a very smart but athletically challenged guy that lived next to the Knight twins, and near Karen Wright, on the boulevard. He moved to Virginia, Mn for his senior year in HS and was on the tennis team there. He was in my class and I remember quite a few occasions in grade school when I played chess with him at his house. As I remember, conveniently, I almost always won.

John Mack had a brother Kay Mack, who was locally known (in HS) as a guitar playing rock and roller.

I think Tok and Sobczak are both of Eastern European stock.

McWaters was a junk baller, lots of spin and exotic drop shots. He may have had a high ball toss, but I mostly remember that he was very smart kid, especially in math and science and had a scholarship to Michigan Tech, before that I knew that scholarships were possible.