Monday, June 11, 2007

Tomatoes

Monday. Today is starting to feel like summer. I saw a 91 degree reading pass by on a web site purporting to represent St Paul. I was still knackered from tennis in a steam bath at Reed Sweatt tennis emporium last evening. The name of the joint seems to fit the environment there. I loafed until 2:30 and then hit tennis balls with Dennis at Marie Park. No biking today.

So I'm borrowing Mr Moohoo's concept. I have three tomato plants and a zucchini planted in the back yard against the house. I took a picture of their current size and civility and will update with shots later in the summer as they take over the backyard and the house. There are two large size tomatoes, heirlooms, if you will, and a volunteer cherry tomato (I think), progeny of last year's crop. I had just watered the green darlings before the photo. I'm thinking that there will be tomato sauce and juice galore by September. I'll be eating locally.


More scanner fun. This photo has been in my possession for quite a while and shows a selection of the Norwegian (and some Swede) carriers of the family DNA. There are most of the Anderson children with their cousin's - Jake's kids. Only Dorothy is missing. Lillie is 24, the same age as Kagami and Wireless this year. Note her fancy dress material. I had always thought that Nils Olai looked like he was sleeping or perhaps downcast in the photo. Today I scanned it in and had a look at the photo in big magnification. He is staring fairly intently and clearly at the camera. Instead of a tired old man, I saw an aged, blue-eyed tiger. Have a look.

A front yard full of Hansons and Andersons from 1937 at 50th anniversary of Nils Olai and Jacobine Hanson's Wedding. It was taken somewhere north of Webster, Wisconsin.


An enlargement of our tigerish hero and forebear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing -- I've seen that photo before, and thought what you thought. Yay, technology. It is spiffy dress material. Looking at the details, I'm thinking all three girls made those dresses -- and quite possibly from the same pattern. Patterns used to come that way, at least two or three sizes in the same pattern. I prefer Lillie's fabric. (She made all my dresses when I was a girl. I mostly remember a green plaid number with a white collar and sleeve trim.) ~ SS

Anonymous said...

And you planted marigolds for pest control. Good natural gardenning technique, I'm told. Also a bright spot of color. ~ SS

Jimi said...

SS - It looks like Lillie and Leona used the same pattern for their dresses - with some personalizations. The Hansen boys all were dressed in suits - an expense during the Depression. I wonder if they were home made too.

Nils died the following March of pneumonia after being bedridden because he had broken his hip in an accident.

Good catch on the marigolds. TT