Saturday, June 2, 2007

A Half and Half Day

It is raining cats and dogs now. But I've had a reasonably active day. Unky Herb was up and off to Chicago by 5 am and I missed his departure, but by 8:15 I was sweeping a tennis court at Marie Park to clear last night's precipitation. Only two of the gang showed up today and so Curt and I hit tennis balls for an hour without the spice of competition. The sky was very blue and the day's forecast of rain seemed wrong. It was eventually and forcefully correct.

I came home and decided to ride to Como Park and search for the sculptures there. I found one, but the one on Midway Parkway and Hamline escaped my search and I'll have to go back for more thorough searching. It's purported to be close to the rain garden. I need to find the rain garden first, I suppose. The ride was 14+ miles including a side trip through the Hamline campus past the tennis courts and Klas Center.
This is Minnesota Rocks sculpture number 6 located on Lexington and Jessamine very near Como Park. "Paisley Perch" by Peter Morales, a native of Guatamala who lives and works in St Paul.


Mauresmo exited the tourney in Paris, so, of my predicted champions, I have only Nadal left. He won convincingly in three sets today against another Spaniard, Montanes, 6-1, 6-3, 6-2. Serena is the only American left in the singles competitions of either gender. In the men's draw there are 4 Spaniards, 3 Russians, and 3 Argentinians. In the women's draw there are 4 Russians left, but there is also a French woman still in contention - Marion Bartoli, seeded 18, who is Milagros Sequera's doubles partner.

Gas was $2.969 this morning. What causes such price gyration?

No poetry today. I'll be trying to come up with something to rhyme with July towards the end of this month.

Grand Ol' Day is tomorrow and the neighborhood will be filled with people attending the music and food festival. Unless it rains. There are some locally famous musical groups performing not far from here, so I may wander up and see what is playing at Kowalskis.

2 comments:

Santini said...

I'm liking the rock sculptures. Good luck on finding more. It rained here, too -- but cleared fairly quickly. The kids are swimming again as I write this. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty dreary. Also, thanks for the poetry respite. (I still really like my poppies.)

Anonymous said...

I emailed Tommy for his birthday -- haven't heard back. Could you email me his email address, just to be sure I'm using his current one? Have a good Sunday. Grand Old Days?

Din Soster