Saturday, October 2, 2010

Wild River State Park

After almost three sets of Saturday morning tennis I came home to find Unky Herb planning a trip to one or another state park to check out the coloration of the leaves and to decide if he wanted to return there tomorrow with his favorite female friend. I agreed to go along and visit yet another state park, one which I had not been to before. Wild River State Park is about 50 miles from the Capitol City, on the St Croix River, and not far from North Branch. That's where we ended up at about 3:45 this afternoon.

This is UH standing in front of the St. Croix River. The leaves were not as dramatic as we hoped, but it was a nice enough day - a bit coolish - for a walk in the woods. We walked, talked and took photos for a couple of hours, before returning home.


A while into the walk we ran across this ancient hand pump - one that reminded me of the hand pump on Grandpa Richard's farm. This one still works. I pumped the handle about ten times - no need to prime it - and water started to flow. I actually took a drink of the water and am now hoping that dysentery does not result.

Incidentally, I think UH is taking his lady friend to William O'Brian Park, about 20 miles south of Wild River, and also on the St. Croix.  The leaves may be a bit more impressive there.


I'm home again, without checking the level of the Mississippi at Harriet Island. It was supposed to crest today. It may be a task for another day soon.

1 comment:

santini said...

I might do a photo series on water fountains.

Wild River State Park looks like a pretty nice place.