Saturday, October 30, 2010

Mounds Park Meanderings

I don't get to Mounds Park very often it seems, but it does have a nice high level view of the Mississippi as it meanders through the Capitol City. Today was a nice day, especially for this late in October, so after a satisfying session of Saturday morning tennis, I took a trip there to see if there had been any changes. A couple of years ago I had a series of photos featuring "Minnesota Rocks" - sculptures done in Minnesota stone by established sculptors that are located around the city. This is one of two in Mounds Park - "The Sacred Dish" by Dewey Goodwin, an Ojibwe Native American from Bemidji.


I wandered around the top of the bluff for a while, taking in the crisp fall air and enjoying the view of the river. The Mississippi flows through an industrial area here, including passing the St Paul Downtown Airport. I'm fairly close to the Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary, too, which is at the base of the bluff.


As I mentioned, tennis went pretty well. I'm using my old Nike shoes, but they are not going to last much longer unless I locate some ShoeGoo to patch up the hole in the left toe area. The usual Saturday crew was in attendance and we had a couple of close sets, but this time I felt like I was balanced and hitting the ball pretty well. Now I have a couple of days off to rest and decide who I'm going to vote for in the election on Tuesday.

I hear that the Stewart-Colbert rally in Washington D.C. drew over 200,000 people to the activities. I don't know if was politics or comedy, or perhaps just a nice day, but the rally was a success. I hope some sanity returns to public discourse.

I have a new recipe for Asian Slaw, purloined from the InnerTubes, but easy and pretty tasty. I was looking for a good pasta salad when I found the recipe. There is some pasta in this (crushed ramen noodles), but also almonds and sunflower seed kernels. I may post it on the cooking blog the next time I make it - when I have photos. Unky Herb and PP can attest to its level of deliciousness.

1 comment:

din soster said...

I don't remember that sculpture from your earlier series. Nice.

Hard to beat an expansive river view, from high on a bluff.