Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Diamonds and Rust, mostly rust

That Judas Priest cover of "Diamonds and Rust" on the Moohoo blog keeps running through my brain.  I recommend it for its novel appeal.

When it's this windy and you have 37 trays of slides, and you're a retired guy, you, too, might spend most of the day scanning in the slides and arranging them into a semblance of order. I think that the ones I'm posting today are in sequence.  The boxes have dates written on them and the individual slides have the date of development stamped on them.

This is from the summer of 1978.  I think the place is a well used lake resort near Grand Rapids.  These people are currently Michiganders.


This is is stamped September, 1978.  Maybe it was taken in August, but the box says it was taken in a medium sized city in Illinois.   I think that's correct.  A girl (OSLO) and her dog.  Brownie?  Duke?


This is also September, 1978, in the same medium sized city.  Notice the monogramed top on Santini.


Also in 1978. The slide is stamped October, and was taken in this very house. Mr Mohoo in his salad days and in need of a shave.


This was taken very near to April 5, 1980. The baby is my son, who in these pages and on occasion in Michigan, goes by the alias, Unky Herb. He's sleeping peacefully in the photo, an activity that usually happened during the day, so that we could have quality time together in the middle of the night.  I think we borrowed the bassinet for the first few weeks of his time here.


This slide scanner is working well enough for my purposes. I have used iPhoto software to enhance every one of them, but I am pleased with the results. I have about thirty boxes to get to, but there is no hurry and the winter in these parts seems interminable.

["Time, you thief..."  from Leigh Hunt's "Jenny Kissed Me"]

3 comments:

santini said...

Ah, the Mayflower Resort on Deer Lake. It no longer exists, except in memory.

You were right the first time -- the dog's name was Brownie. He was a good dog.

Great fun, but mildly depressing. Time, you thief, indeed. Still, better to be reminded that once you were beautiful/handsome than to feel like you've been old forever.

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of me and my dog. He was an awesome, protective and very much loved dog. I was a very lucky kid to have such a wonderful dog and good childhood. Hard to believe I was that young, my kids think I am old. Thank you for sharing such wonderful memories.

OSLO

Emily M said...

I really love all of these photos - I hope you can put them all online once the scanning is complete, so that we can see them all. Fun!