Thursday, October 21, 2010

The sun was shining

I took a walk in Como Park this afternoon. It may be the last nice week of the season, and maybe not, but I wanted to spend some time in the outdoors. I had to play tennis later in the evening so I didn't want to do anything too strenuous, just a decent walkabout. I also needed a picture or two to put up on this blog.

The reflection in the pool outside the Conservatory was pretty, and I couldn't pass it by.


And the topiary and the vertical garden (or whatever it's called) are very popular places to take wedding photos in the summer months. There hasn't been a hard freeze yet so the plants are still active and still in place. I know that some of the plants are those known as hens and chicks. Someone puts in a lot of work to keep this display healthy and attractive.


And yet another of the trees in the park. This is an oak and they are turning colors now, a while after the ash trees have dropped all their leaves, the quitters. The oaks are in various stages of their change process, but this one is doing just fine, thank you.


All this in anticipation of about 90 minutes of mixed doubles at Wooddale. The tennis was pretty competitive and some long points ensued. The scores 7-5, 6-3 got us to the 90 requisite minutes. The USTA team tennis starts this weekend. I'm playing mixed doubles again on the team that I played on a year ago. There are some new players and a nucleus of players back, but as in life, this team is in a state of flux.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Como is always a good choice for a walkabout. That gate display is impressive -- it took some study of your photo before I realized that it was all done with plants.

Snow is a possibility here by the end of next week. The season has changed. And is about to change again. Fall is too short.