Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Even the oaks are getting into the act

I had my once every other year eye exam this morning. So far, no change to the long distance vision, but I still need help in the short range - reading distance. The doctor recommended that I continue using Walgreens as my supplier of eye glasses.

I took my medicated and very light sensitive eyes to Crosby Park to look for orange and red, maybe darkish yellow leaves to add to my photo collection. There was some wind, but Crosby is down below the bluffs and the wind was blowing over the top today. The recently flooded trails are not yet open to bike traffic, and some are still too muddy for walking without fouling one's shoes. The high water from last week is coming down, but at its own sweet rate. I found some oak trees who are joining the color parade. Oaks don't usually turn orange, but I was satisfied with the reds developing in the leaves.


There were some maples, still resplendent in orange. This one was in the woods a bit up stream from the Watergate Marina off Shepherd Road.


It was another 70-ish day in the middle of October - a bonus day - a reward for good behavior, or just blind luck, perhaps the positive side of global warming. I know we're going to pay for this nice stretch of Indian Summer, but not for at least another week.

No tennis today, but I'll be outside again tomorrow, tennis racket in hand, bashing the fuzz off some Wilson tennis balls.  Use it or lose it.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Good news on the eye doc front.

Sounds like a nice way to spend a rest day.

Santini said...

Sorry for the double comment, but I've been sort of waiting for an update on the flood waters. Just a suggestion, but I'm curious about how that railing into the water is looking these days.