Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Another Bean Salad

It was a nice brisk October day, a nice day for a walk outside and for creating yet another bean salad. The bean salad may have been the highlight of the day. It has been a couple of weeks since my last one, and I was getting hungry for those chewy garbanzos. Again I added just a few pieces of carrot to jazz up the color.


The afternoon walkabout turned out to be a trip to Hamline. I had an email from them lately that advertised a soccer game, and I decided to watch a little collegiate athletic action. My very short collegiate soccer career was composed of a couple of games as a goal keeper for the club team that functioned as Hamline's entry in unofficial conference play in 1965. Dave Streeter, a friend and a very good soccer player from New England, organized the team and needed a guy who could catch a ball to be keeper and he asked me to play. I played a couple of games before I was forced to quit because I broke my wrist in a intramural touch football game. I remember especially a game at Macalester against a team made up almost exclusively, as I remember it, of foreign students. Guys who could actually play.

So today I watched the Hamline (in white) women play the Northwestern college women. Here they are lined up for the National anthem. They always play the Star Spangled Banner before athletic contests these days, but usually not tennis matches that I've attended, at least. When I left the game near halftime the score was 1-0 for the visitors.


While I was roaming around the campus after the game, I ran into an employee of the university, whom I recognized immediately, Dr. BB. She was on her way into Drew Hall, the dormitory that I lived in for four years almost 45 years ago.

There were some orange tinged maple trees in the parking area near Drew, so I included this shot in the spirit of the autumn season. Still no hard freeze in the city.


We (the geezers) played tennis outside for two hours yesterday, and we are scheduled to do it again tomorrow at Marie Park. It's been an amazing run of good weather. I know we'll pay for this with some truly abysmal weather in January.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

The bean salad looks good. No wax beans, I see. High protein stuff.

There's no place quite like a campus in the fall. Especially if you don't have that whole book, study, test thing to worry about.