Sunday, October 24, 2010

About those boxes of slides

The scanner started me down this path. I haven't seen these photos in a decade or more and now I'm using them on my blog. They may mean something to some of my regular readers. I'm scanning 1974 events and happenings today. The boxes have photos up until 1987.

This is one of the few photos of me playing tennis. It was the Hamline alumni tennis tournament at the old courts before they were improved. I'm using one of those T2000 tennis rackets that Jimmy Connors used and made popular. The slide was a little dark, but I was able to get it presentable using the magic of iPhoto. In the summer of 1974 I was 31 years old, just a year older than my own son today. PP said something like, "nice shorts, Tousan," when she saw the image.

Time, you thief.


A photo of Tom Miller on the occasion of Andy's high school graduation. There are some photos here of a very young Andy, too, which may get an airing the next marginal photography day. Dad was 65 when the photo was snapped - just three years younger than I am. [Insert another curse at Father Time here].


Other than photos there was actually other action today. The USTA mixed doubles team that I am a part of had its first match today at Wooddale. Jerry is the captain and he put me and a new woman on the team, Kathy, in the number one doubles spot, a dubious honor - we played their supposed best team. This is an open age team, so the folks we played were youngish (while I'm geezerish), but we gave it a run. We won a set but lost in the third set tiebreaker - a ten pointer - 11-9. The scores 4-6, 6-0, 1-0. I kiddingly accused Jerry of "throwing us under the bus" to get our other teams an easier match - sandbagging, it's called, but he reminded me that we only lost by two points, the thinnest of margins. The other two doubles teams won, so the team as a whole is now 1-0 in the league.

The Vikings were not so lucky losing in Green Bay 28-24 in Sunday Night Football. It was a fun game to watch with that Favre guy doing his usual Favre stuff.

2 comments:

santini said...

I think the quote continues.

Time, you thief, who loves to get Sweets in your list, put that in.

I'd say that moment in time was a 'sweet' in your list.

That is a very natural looking shot of Dad. Thanks.

Carl Ponanz said...

I truly enjoyed the picture of the elder one of our family. Thanks it put a smile on my face.
I would enjoy seeing the pictures from my graduation, that sounds cool.