Thursday, September 30, 2010

High Water at Harriet

I had to go to the bank about noon. My bank is on Plato Street which runs along the area of the Mississippi that is working on a fall flooding event. Since I was there yesterday, and since the crest of the flood isn't until Saturday, I stopped after my banking experience to look at the expanse of water.    Parts of Harriet Island are now under some water. This bench is normally along the sidewalk next to the river near the north end of the park. It's wet and probably will be submerged on Saturday. Plus, it's another bench photo for the bench photo series.  A dandy bench.


There are also some picnic tables that won't be used this weekend. They are also located at the north end of Harriet Island.  The bench above can be seen in the background of this photo.


The same railing that I posted yesterday is now further into the river. The park was closed, according to several signs, but there were plenty of gawkers walking around snapping photos. I even walked by a WCCO-TV crew, doing a bit for the six o'clock TV news. They weren't interested in interviewing me, so I walked on by.




Incidentally, Raspberry Island, where PP put in some effort planting sedges a month or so ago, is closed and will be mostly submerged on Saturday.

For more up to the minute flood viewing check out the St Paul River Cam.

I played some mixed doubles at Wooddale this evening.  We played almost three sets, but we were out of time at 5-4, and were forced to give up the court.  I played better today.  The lack of wind helped my confidence and my ability to hit the ball in the center of the strings - the sweet spot.  I hope that carries over to the next time I play.

It was a good day in the history of days.

1 comment:

santini said...

That is a nice bench -- I like the color of it. And the water is clearly rising. I don't think there will be anyone picnicking at those tables anytime soon.