Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Unky Herb Rides

Unky Herb rode the old blue Schwinn to work today - 15 miles each way. His regular bike is at Boehm's getting a tune up. The Schwinn is at least 10 years old and heavy and it was windy all day. It's nice to be 27 years old.



I planned some tennis playing today, but the wind was swirling, it was 59 degrees and Dennis wasn't up for it. So my activity of the day consisted of a morning walk over to Linwood Park to check on the native plant garden there, and to see if I could spot any black eyed susans in the places I had "disposed" of the seeds from Pster's garden. No sign yet.

This afternoon I drove over to Dodge Nature Center in Mendota Heights and walked around the premises. They have rescued raptors there, including an American Eagle with mean looking talons, and a couple of owls recovering from some injury or another. They were in cages so I was able to get pretty close. Very handsome birds. I hadn't ever been to Dodge before. It's pretty large, with a lot of walking trails, but not a place for cycles. It's about 5-6 miles away and the route there is bikeable. I should have biked today, since Herb proved the going was good enough, but it only got to 61 degrees today and I let it slide.

Gas was $3.249 at SuperAmerica on Grand Avenue. There was a gas buying boycott scheduled for today, but I haven't heard how it went or even if it had an effect. I, for one, put off any gas purchases until tomorrow.

Twelve days until Roland Garros. Excitement builds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, number one son, on a bike. Nice photo op.