Saturday, May 5, 2007

It rains on Saturday sometimes

It's Saturday in Minnesota. And it rains. What can I say? I am inside, but spent about 90 minutes smacking tennis balls inside at Wooddale with the aging gentlemen that I often share the court with. We managed three sets with three different arrangements of combatants. 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 today. I was a little off my game, slow sometimes, which I attribute to the change of surface and lighting differences inside. But the new racket did its job when I was able to locate the sweet spot. A sweet red Wilson racket.

I have few recent tennis photos, so I'm posting a photo from this January in Florida with my high school tennis coach. He is a few years older than me, but still an active and effective player. The tennis we played was the first in about 40 years and an identical time since we had seen each other. Thanks to the internet and a little tool called 'google' used by Sylvi, I was able to relocate him. We had a great time, recalling triumphs of our "youths" and filling in the gaps in our histories, at his home near St Petersburg. Sylvi, who was one of his French student faves in high school was there, too.



My tennis schedule is pretty busy for next week. I'll be hitting with the geezer group a few times, and the USTA 8.0 mixed doubles league starts up on Sunday.

I'm also planning to do some biking next week when the rain ceases. I'll try to get some good photos of the trails by the Mississippi River and the vegetation that is again showing its beauty. The river is the dominant feature on many of my rides - it's about 2 miles down hill from here. That means, of course, that my ride home is dominated by a climb up Benhill Street.

Gas is $2.95. The war goes on. Visualize peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could send a link to this blog to Coach.