Saturday, May 26, 2007

Lady of Elm

When an elm tree dies in St Paul, and many have in the last few years, the trunk is often carved into a sculpture of some figure or another. Many are quite detailed and attractive. This one sits on Summit Avenue at the top Ramsey Hill. It's not titled and the artist is unknown.



Yesterday's photo was indeed Hidden Falls. The new car was won by lucky Unky Herb, who guessed where it was right away. I suggested that the car he won was the Corolla that I gave him about three years ago.

I played Saturday morning tennis at 8:45 at Saint Paul Academy. It consisted of several members of Eric Narvaez's USTA team and a couple of geezer stragglers. Tennis Dennis and me. It was a nice morning, some very brief sprinkles and 2+ sets of doubles. 3-6, 2-1, 6-0. I again learned that guys in their thirties have quicker reflexes than 60 somethings. And that slow and steady can often carry the day.

Unky Herb and I had a nice long hike down Summit to Western and back via Holly Avenue. The neighborhood is filled with 1900's charm and expensive properties. There were also several of those elm trees converted to sculpture.

The Roland Garros tournament main draw starts tomorrow in Paris. The excitement is palpable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funky photo. It's good to guess right, and I'm not done driving my truck yet. It's an environmental issue. (The huge amount of energy required to make a new one.) Sounds like you and Wilson had some good tennis. And you and Unky Herb had a nice walk. Not bad for a rainy, windy day.