Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Hidden Falls

It was and continues to be very windy today in River City. I played some tennis in the wind to remind myself what a bad idea that is. The play was stroke practice at Sibley High School courts set on an open area where the wind was in command of all dimensions. But it was nice to be outside, windy or not. I'm taking a rest day from tennis tomorrow, to let it rain and to get stronger.

I managed to find my way to the Hidden Falls Minnesota Rocks sculptures today. And after living in St Paul most of the time since the fall of 1961 I actually saw Hidden Falls. I have many, many times ridden through Hidden Falls Regional Park, but never knew where the real falls stood. They are well hidden, but in a well known spot, because the area obviously is used extensively. There are stone trails, fire pits, and stairs of stones built by human hand and at great effort. I'll add a photo sometime in the future. I am embarrassed.

These are two more of the Minnesota Rocks public sculptures in St Paul. That's 4 of the 13 in St Paul. There is one in St Anthony Village and one in Vadnais Heights to track down, too.

Minnesota Rocks 3; by Salah Hammad of Egypt (untitled) on Mississippi River Boulevard near Hidden Falls:


Minnesota Rocks number 4; Sentinels by Juergan Zaun of Germany on Mississippi Boulevard near Ford Parkway:


Roger Federer stopped Nadal's clay court streak at 81 matches this weekend, so he may have become the favorite at Roland Garros. I'm sticking with my prediction that Nadal will win. And I'm starting to think that Serena Williams may be a "bootylicious" factor on the red clay. Time magazine has an article on her in the May 28 issue. I think that "bootylicious" is Serena's own term for her big babe tennis physique. It still seems fitting that Mauresmo should win the title in her own country. It's been a long drought for the home team there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good one. I don't know where Hidden Falls is -- but good on 'ya for tracking it down. The rock sculptures continue to be interesting. Do you think the artist would approve of the improvement you made to his statue?