Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ten year old tennis racket

I've been gazing at my tennis racket and wondering when it will be time to buy a new one. I've had this Wilson ProStaff for at least ten years and it's starting to look a little ragged. I have used duct tape to protect the frame and the strings from wearing away when I inadvertently scrape the frame on the court while hitting low forehands. In fact, I have tried at least twice to upgrade to newer rackets in the last five or six years and always went back to this one. It seems like an upgrade is in order soon. I used this one again today at the Fort Snelling Tennis Club and managed to get through nearly two sets in an hour and a half of doubles with the increasingly competitive GTA.



The high temperature in Fairbanks, Alaska today was 47 degrees. We may have topped at 40 here in St Paul. The global weather patterns are currently topsy-turvy.

The family food blog has been fun. The participants have supplied info about some interesting and sometimes historical foods. Mr. Moohoo has been revisiting the foods of our childhood, and I await further surprises. Santini and Tommy have posted useful current and probably tasty dishes and I'm likely to try them at some point, and Wireless has some tasty goodies to share, too. The foods I remember from my childhood - meatloaf, macaroni and eggs, roast beef and boiled potatoes, sloppy joes on home made buns, liver and bacon, roast chicken with stuffing, corned beef hash with eggs, egg salad sandwiches, and other things I don't remember at the moment. I expect some of these to show up on that blog. I'm not so sure that sugar sandwiches will make the cut. And I didn't expect ring bologna to make it this soon.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Good luck on the tennis racket. I remember the last time you tried to get a new one you put a lot of time into it and it still didn't work quite right.

Two London newspapers are saying that it is getting colder, not warmer, globally as well as locally. Eventually the emperor's lack of clothing gets noticed.

Don't forget cream chipped beef on toast.

Happy birthday!