Friday, October 16, 2009

Marginally Better Weather

October has been a cold month, but there are signs that we may get some warmth this weekend. It didn't rain much this morning, just some mist now and then. I was able to get out into the open air for a while before my Friday afternoon tennis contest. I took a picture of my red maple tree. The leaves have turned, but without good light, it isn't very dramatic. But the season is changing. I hiked around Harriet Island for a while, too, but it wasn't a day for photography.



Then there was some tennis at Fort Snelling. I seem to be in some sort of slump. I have played four sets of tennis since I crossed over into the world of 67 year-olds, and I have yet to win a set. Two were out and out losses and the other two were interrupted by the end of our assigned playing time with my side in dire straits. I'm blaming the slump on my insistance of using my second string racket. I switched because I'm saving what's left of the first stringer for my trip to Arizona, and there is that issue of duct tape holding it together. Tomorrow, I'm going back to the one with duct tape to break the slump.

I made turkey fried rice for dinner tonight. My friendly wait person at Yang's Chinese Restaurant told me that it was quite important to use cold rice in the recipe - or the rice sticks together - so that's what I did. It came out well and PP, Unky Herb and I had it as part of a varied menu for dinner. Herb did a salad, and PP prepared an appetizer of bread, hummus, and feta cheese. And cantaloupe to finish. Check out the recipe for fried rice on the family food blog.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

I miss Herb's salads. A nice menu.

It is both cold and dark here, as well. The sun is supposed to return today. The cold will linger.