Monday, October 12, 2009

Snow Again

It doesn't seem like October. I awoke this morning and went out my back door to find this scene on my patio. The pots recently held growing lettuce and flower plants, but were transformed overnight to snow containers. The weather people reported a record amount of snow for October 12 of any year. Today.



I stayed inside today. I had a trip to the grocer and bought some ingredients for the recipes that I'll be trying now that the family food blog has begun to hum. I made some cole slaw and pea soup, essentially from scratch. I may post another recipe, but I'm keeping some of my powder dry for a while yet. GZ suggested last night that he might post his recipe for boiled ring baloney.

I hear by my radio that there will be a deer hunt at Crosby Farm Park this fall. It's a place that I spend quite a bit of time, so I'm a little familiar with the deer herd there. I guess they are going to close the park and allow a limited number of bow hunters to trim the herd. I hope that if they field dress their kill that they keep the intestines off the bike path. I guess the deer have become somewhat of a nuisance in Highland Park, nibbling people's gardens to nubs.

The Minnesota Twins season is done. The Yankees did them in in three straight games, so now we can concentrate on the Vikings and old number 4. Old number 4 (Favre) had his 40th birthday on Saturday.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Sorry about the snow.

Keeping your powder dry? Ring baloney?

Deer are pretty serious pests. Bow hunting season started here last week. Deer/car crashes kill scores of people every year here. Vermin.