Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Park Closed for Deer Hunting

The morning was nice enough to take a walk. The forecast for afternoon was possible rain, and it did rain, so I was right to do my trekking in the a.m. PP had a late start at MCC this morning, but she was committed to going for a run, so I decided to walk around a lake alone. There are a couple of lakes in the Crosby Farm Park by the Mississippi - Crosby Lake and Upper Lake. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a sign announcing Upper Lake, but google maps shows its contours, and I decided that that would be just the right mixture of forest, bog, and exercise. I set out. But my plans were thwarted by the sign in the photo encountered at the entrance to the Park. The city or maybe the county has declared open bow hunting on the deer herd that resides in Crosby Farm and they closed the park. As I stood to take the photo a jogger swept by me into the park, but as she passed the sign, and read it, she stopped and asked what was up. I expressed my own reluctance to enter the park and she apparently agreed with my judgment. She asked what was at the top of the hill. "Shepherd Road," I said. She turned and ran up the hill.



I guess that qualifies as interaction with the public.

I took my new plans further up the river to Hidden Falls and walked along the mighty Mississippi. I had trepidations of errant arrows from careless archers, but that soon passed and I had a nice trek up the river. I met a few amblers walking their dogs and themselves but not much excitement. A barge went by and I was able to see people with their dogs across the river at the Minneapolis leashless dog park. I walked along the river for a while and observed the river's effect on trees, even big trees that grow too close to the water. This big tree has had most of the soil eroded from around its roots, leaving it high and dry when the river is low. And a photo worthy image.



I came home for lunch. I stopped at Trader Joe's for some fixings and ended up with a "toasted" cheese sandwich along with a bowl of tomato soup. I did not, however stick to the "old time" lunch plan - the cheese was colby and feta, the bread, spinach feta from Great Harvest, and the soup, a much fancier non condensed version of tomato without high fructose corn syrup. Quite satisfying.

No tennis again today. Two days in a row without smacking forehands and I'm beginning to feel the effects of withdrawal.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Nice post. I like the tree photo, especially. Gnarly. It looks like you had a bit of sun.

It is bow hunting season here, generally, not just selected harvesting. I will admit to a cringe or two when I ride through some of the wooded areas north of town. Once rifle hunting season starts next month, I make a drastic change to my routes, staying close to well developed areas. Still, I hear more gunfire than seems possible.