Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fade to Gray

One nice day doesn't make a nice month, and today we reverted to the month's norm. Gray. It's been a blue-gray game most of the month with the rebs winning most of the battles.

I had lunch over near Macalester College, a private liberal arts college near here, and near and dear to the heartstrings of some reader(s). Lunch at the Italian Pie Shoppe. They have some good pie, and a nice lunch special. On the way I encountered an "art car" parked on the street near what was once Ace Hardware. I have encountered several of these the last few months, including in the Grand Old Day parade, and I'm starting to suspect that there may be some sort of movement afoot. Perhaps a conspiracy. There was, in fact, another similarly festooned auto on Grand Avenue near the shoppe. I always wonder what the redecoration of these autos does to their resale value, but the autos are usually on their last owner. I've included an informative video of a Minnesota art car parade from earlier this year. Just the thing for a gray day.



My main exercise today was a long walk past the new rain garden that PP and her MCC cohorts installed at Linwood, then around the block, up the big stairs, north to Summit and past the Guv's Mansion, and back home. About an hour. I plan to revisit the tennis wars tomorrow come blue or come gray.

3 comments:

Gino said...

Excellent video. Ah, hippies art painting their cars, makes me nostalgic.

Would that be the Ace Hardware on Grand near Lexington or the Ace Hardware on Grand near Cambridge?

santini said...

Looking back at the fall, September was pretty decent -- lots of talk about endless summer, as I recall. Which has made October all the more crushing, turning out to have a lot of November like weather. We can only hope that November doesn't mimic December in that same way, I suppose.

The art cars are interesting. The old VW busses come to mind. I haven't seen any art cars here.

Good luck with the tennis wars.

Jimi said...

Gino - The Ace Hardware is the one near Cambridge. The Pie Shoppe moved a while ago and they are now just a couple of doors east of the old Ace.

That old hippie spirit is pretty hard to crush. TT