Thursday, October 8, 2009

American Coots on Lake Como

In preparation for my usual Thursday night mixed doubles encounter with Jerry and the hardcore girls, I decided to stretch my legs the 1.6 miles around my usual lake of choice. 3200 steps it says on the sign that announces the circumference of Lake Como. For most of the last month, the lake has been been sporting a lot af algae on the surface, a condition some might call scummy. The wind of the last few days has blown most of the green layer to the downwind end of the lake. These American Coots found the algae to constitute a feast and they congregated in large numbers to eat. Unless I counted wrong - a definite possibility considering my spotty short term memory - there are 51 coots in this photo. PP's "Birds of Minnesota" field guide has the American Coot on page 12. It notes, "An excellent diver and swimmer, often seen in large flocks on open water. Not a duck, as it doesn't have webbed feet, but instead has large lobed toes. ... Also called Mud Hen." And thus a segue to baseball.

The Toledo Mud Hens are a minor league baseball team affiliated with the Detroit Tigers, the team the Twins nipped in the recently completed American League Central Division regular season playoff. The Twins then lost in the first game of the divisional playoffs to the Yankees last nightt in the new Yankee Stadium. This set of facts "really ties the room together" (after the Dude in "The Big Lebowski").



Enough digression. Tennis with the hardcore girls was challenging as usual. We managed a couple of hard fought sets with some interesting points. The players look ready for the national tournament coming up in about a month and a half. We had at least two occasions when we had to stop and try to determine the score of the current game that at least one of us thought was completed. It's amazingly difficult to remember points that were played in just the previous five minutes. And these people aren't really that old. Except maybe for me.

I made three bean salad again today - wax beans, black beans, and garbanzos. I skipped Unky Herb's addition of carrots slices. That ingredient can be his trademark. I'm also considering whether it might be all right to add green peas to the mixture. I wonder if they are close enough to beans to be allowed into the mix.

4 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I'm not sure that being an authority on coots is where you want to go. Nice photo, though.

Cannelli beans, a white kidney bean, are good in 3 bean salad. I think pea salad is nice, but I like peas, eggs and cheese -- a bit of onion for crunch, and some sort of creamy dressing. Creamy Italian works well. It's a cold salad; I made it a couple of weeks ago. Maybe we should do a recipe/cooking blog.

T. Tousan said...

Peas, eggs, and cheese sounds interesting. Is it a cold dish, or do you cook it? Maybe a recipe blog would be fun. I don't have many recipes and mostly they are borrowed from Lillie, or PP, or Adam, or you. I could make some up though. TT

Retired Professor said...

I cook the peas first, then drain and chill. (If the peas are too hot, it melts the cheese. Room temperature is fine. I've had it made with canned peas, but it is much better with frozen, cooked peas.) I cube the cheese, or use cheeze cubes that I keep around for Nikki to snack on -- cut in half. I saw it made on TV with shredded cheese once, I've never done it. I like Monteray Jack, John keeps lobbying for Velveeta. Any cheese will do. Chop up some hard boiled egg -- proportions are not much of an issue with this. I've had it made with bacon added, and it was good. Even peanuts. Sue at Deer Lake adds some chopped up iceberg lettuce to hers. I like a little bit of sweet onion, or some sliced green onions. Whatever sounds appealing. It needs a little moisture -- some salad dressing of some sort. Probably a creamy caesar would be good, but I like creamy Italian or even Mayo. Just be careful not to use too much -- it doesn't need much dressing, just enough to hold it together. Chill and serve, or eat it at room temp. I can't believe I've never made it while you were around. I make it every now and then as a side dish for summer meals or to go with a half sandwich for lunch. Salt and pepper to taste.

I read a few cooking blogs fairly regularly. I can't figure out how they cook and take pictures at the same time.

Jimi said...

What kind of proportions are you using? Can of peas, 1/2 pound cheese, 3 eggs, 1/2 an onion? Maybe formalize it and put it on the recipe blog for all to enjoy. TT