Saturday, September 15, 2007

Mixed Doubles Tourney

On a cold morning I set out to play tennis at the Reed-Sweatt Tennis Center. The Stahnke 8.0 team was scheduled for a match with a Minneapolis team at 11 and a team from Eau Claire, Wisconsin at 5 pm. The team picture came in between the two matches. Left to right: Jerry, Becky, Tousan, Marsha, Jan, Bob. Two members were not there and thus not pictured, Barb and James.


We lost both matches, sorry to report.. The Stahnke team (us) lost the morning session 2 matches to one, and the afternoon matchup 3 matches to zero, the fat zero. I played with Marsha as my partner in both sessions. We won the first one 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7). It was nice comeback sprinkled with some good and entertaining back and forth points. The afternoon was a good match, too, but we fell 7-5, 6-3 to a couple of kids without a gray hair between them. It was fun, competitive, and I didn't need to pull out my prepared excuses for subpar play. We play another Minneapolis team at 9:30 tomorrow morning, but the playoff match in the afternoon is out of reach.

As you may have seen on other blogs, it was cold here in River City. I covered the tomatoes and photographed them this morning before the frays. There was no frost on the grass this far south and within the city heat island, but it was cold - I think about 39. We are not in the outlying areas that got frosted. The day turned pretty and the growing season is expected to continue for another two weeks or so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must be knackered. You played good tennis, you had fun. No excuses are necessary. I hope today's report is at least as good.

The tomatoes should make it through -- I personally like the cooler weather. Santini