Monday, June 6, 2011

Sleeping Ducks, Tomatoes and Hot Day Tennis

I caught these mallard males napping on the shore of Lake Como. They're so tame that they didn't look up or budge as I took the photo. Como is a busy lake with lots of people walking and running around it nearly every day, so I guess they've grown accustomed to activity. They seem like they're feeling secure.


It was too hot for tennis today. There were health warnings for the aged amongst us, who were advised to find an air conditioner and hang around it all afternoon. But, since the geezers were scheduled for an afternoon session of tennis ball whacking, I played some tennis at Marie Park. Besides Curt was back from his winter haven in Arkansas, and I hadn't exchanged witticisms with him for months. There were six of us older gents there, determined to play some tennis and also to survive the first day in the nineties this year. We played some abbreviated sets and finished off most of our water before calling it a day. When I got into my car, the on board thermometer falsely reported 107. After five minutes of driving it had dropped back to a more likely 95. I stopped at Subway for a sandwich, Gatorade and a walk though the air conditioned convenience store attached to the Subway.

I have planted my tomato plants by the back door. They're well established already and beginning to grow. Last year, if you remember, I tried to grow heirloom tomatoes from seeds. It was pretty much a failure, because the heirloom tomatoes that survived yielded blueberry size tomatoes, so small that I didn't even harvest them. And, of course, my planting was delayed by a trip to Paris and Roland Garros stadium. This year I bought Early Girls from the garden center on Randolph. I'm much encouraged. This is the tomato plant to the left of the other one.


Raffa Nadal is the champion again at Roland Garros in Paris for the sixth time. The championship match against Roger Federer was classic clay court tennis. I spent about four hours Sunday watching them beat each other up and counted it good use of my time.

1 comment:

Santini said...

As usual, very nice wildlife photo.

When they say 'elderly amongst us' they mean you and me, just so you know.

Nice tomato!