Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Some photos by a guest artist

It was a very nice day, perhaps one of the nicest days in the history of Tuesdays. I didn't play tennis, but managed quite a bit of time outside savoring the warm air and thinking about how nice it was. I had a walk this morning up to Summit Avenue and by the Governor's Mansion, hoping that I might get a glimpse of the governor perhaps shirking his duty as the state gets ready to shut down. That's just three days off. The governor must have been off somewhere negotiating with the other party, because he didn't appear to be at home. There were some workmen doing some work on the Mansion's flower gardens and another guy doing some touch-up painting. So I got this photo of some yellow flowers on the way home.


Unky Herb let me have some of the photos that he took on Father's Day in Madison and Janesville, Wisconsin. I like the photos and he said I could post a couple, so I am doing just that. The first is the Prairie Princess and an older gentleman sitting on a park bench just outside the state capitol building in Madison. It's late in the day on Saturday after we had dined at a Thai restaurant a few blocks away.


This is another photo by UH. It was taken Sunday at the Rotary Botanical Gardens in Janesville. The characters on the crooked bridge are the Prairie Princess and the same older gentleman as previously, both wielding umbrellas, or, as they supposedly call them in England, bumbershoots.  It was raining a bit at the time.


I did not play tennis today, but they did in Wimbledon. It was the women's quarters and my predicted winner of the tourney, Caroline Wozniaki, has already lost. I'm switching to Sabine Lisicki, because of the obvious rhyme - and because she's through to the semis. On the men's side, Raffa Nadal is playing the only remaining American man left in the contest - a guy who was born in Minnesota - Mardy Fish. But I still think Novak Djokovic has a good shot at the title.

The women's World Cup of soccer is well into the first week, Today the American women beat North Korea 2-0. It's a busy sports week in Europe.

3 comments:

Santini said...

The last two photos are really very arty. And nice.

Jimi said...

Santini: Did you notice the orange wrist band on the old gent in the photo with bumbershoots?

Santini said...

Not at first glance -- good on 'ya.