Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Veggies

It was a rainy day most of the day, but it did clear up at about three and I was able to get in two quick sets of tennis with the geezer guys. Tennis Dennis showed up early and swept the court of standing water and we were able to play until about five when another rain cloud interrupted play.

After I got home I decided to record the current state of my backyard veggies. That means basically my two tomato plants, although there are other edible veggies on the grounds: some carrots, just now sprouting through the dirt; chives and rhubarb in the Prairie Princess's native plant garden; volunteer lettuce and cilantro in the dirt pots, onion seeds planted in another pot that I'm hoping to get to sprout, and a bed of fresh oregano, going wild by the back steps. It's a veritable salad bowl.

These are the two tomatoes. They are well fertilized using the juice from Unky Herb's worm farm. I'm expecting great things from these two plants, great things arriving sometime in late July, I suspect.


This is a close-up of the one on the right. There are also some volunteer heirlooms in the dirt that seeded themselves and that I'm going to let grow and see what develops. They are the progeny of the heirlooms that last year produced blueberry sized tomatoes. I'm starting to feel like that Gregor Mendel guy, who messed with pea plants between 1856 and 1863 and founded the science of genetics.


The tennis tournament at Wimbledon starts next Monday and Venus and Serena are entered, but Kim Clijsters has withdrawn because of injury. I'm picking Wozniacki on the women's side and Novak Djokovic for the men.  Maybe Roger Federer.

1 comment:

santini said...

Vegies are your friends.