Friday, June 10, 2011

Schiller's ova

It was forty degrees cooler than three days ago, only registering 62 for a high today. But I felt like I needed to get some walking in to loosen my bones for the USTA tennis match later on in the day. Como Park is always a good place to roam about and there always seems to be something going on. After circling the lake I thought that I'd try the area by the Conservatory to find out if there were any flowers to be seen or any adventures to be had.

As I was walking by the statue of the famous German poet, Friedrich Schiller, I was startled by a noise and some motion amongst the rose bushes.


I looked down and a mostly camouflaged female mallard was crawling along, looking weak and tired.  I wondered what was going on, but then noticed her nest.


A whole cache-load of duck eggs. I took the picture and carefully backed away. I think I'll revisit the area to see if the eggs hatch in the next few days. It must be about time, because there are multiple litters of ducklings following their mothers around over by the lake.


Incidentally, I got another photo of the great white heron, or perhaps one just like the one I photographed a couple of days ago. He seems to have settled in at Como Lake and taken out a mortgage.


The USTA mixed doubles match this evening was at Lifetime Fitness in Lakeville. Marsha and I played number one doubles against a pretty good team and managed to prevail 7-6, 6-2. Yet again our opponents asked me how old I am. I guess I must be starting to look ancient or something, but they are always quite complimentary when I tell them I'm 68. I guess I'm supposed to be creaking a bit more than I am so far, but I'm pretty sure I'll be creaking around tomorrow after the early Saturday morning session with the group from Geezerville at Marie Park. They seek nor grant no quarter.

4 comments:

Santini said...

nice photos!

Jimi said...

Thanks, Santini. I'm happy to see you're feeling well enough to comment. Take care.

Retired Professor said...

you betcha

Gino said...

Definitely getting close to entering your mid-60s.