Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ninety-seven today

Since today is my mom's 97th birthday, I scanned in a few of my oldest photos and am posting them to remember her life. Scanning technology is much better than when I first tried to make duplicates of these photos in the 1990's. Then I tried to take photos of the photos in sunlight. It wasn't easy and filled with pitfalls, bad focus, uneven lighting, etc.

This is a previously unposted photo of Lillie Anderson in about 1918 in the yard at her parents farm near Little Yellow Lake in northern Wisconsin. It now seems an odd part of the USA to have a farm, but probably was better than parts of Scandinavia where her parents grew up. I think she was about four, judging from the photo and my gut feelings about children's growth.


Another previously unposted photo. This is very likely 1914 and is taken on the farm. It's actually a postcard with a note from Lillie's dad, Richard, to his brother, Conrad, who was a barber in Minneapolis at the time. The note was written in pencil, without a stamp and dated 5/8/15. The note says the photo is with his oldest daughter, and that they also have another daughter two months old. That would be Leona. Left to right: Hansine, Lillie, and Richard Anderson.


A photo of the Anderson farm house and two autos. The farm is called Dick's Ranch on the reverse side of the photo and is dated Nov. 3, 1912. The house changed quite a lot by the time I was born in 1942.


A 1937 photo of Lillie and her younger sister, Louise, on the home place. Lillie was 23, Louise about 18, I think.  They both are holding bouquets of flowers, so it was some special event, I know not what.


In other news, the solstice came and went and the days are beginning to lengthen again. I do have an ice dam on my roof which is causing some concern, but Unky Herb and I have used our roof rake to remove a few inches of the white stuff on top of the ice and now are hoping that some warm weather will help rid us of the ice that remains. I guess that the 22 inches of snow that we got last week and the extra 4 or 5 the last few days took us past some critical point.

No tennis today, but that gives me a chance to think about Christmas preparations.

8 comments:

soster said...

Nice post -- it's been a good year for old photos, hasn't it?

Anonymous said...

My how times have changed. I can't imagine being born in a house so small.


OSLO

Jimi said...

Did you notice the rifle leaned against the wall of the house? I wonder what's up with that.

santini said...

Could it have been Leona's wedding?

Santini said...

Not the rifle.... the photo with Mom and Louise holding flowers. They look a little bit bridesmaidish.

Jimi said...

Santini: I suppose it could have been a wedding. The photo said 1937 in pencil on the back. Do you know when Leona was married?

Lillie's dress material is somewhat striking. That could be the hallmark of bridesmaid apparel.

Jimi said...

Santini: From my genealogy text:

"2. Rachel Leona Anderson, b. March 3, 1915, d. 23 January 1994; m. June 22, 1938 to Albert B. Hoffman"

Maybe not Leona's wedding. Maybe Louise was graduating from high school. She was born in 1919 so was 18 in 1937, about right for high school graduation.

din soster said...

Homemade dresses, made from the same pattern. Those Anderson girls were frugal. Mom made all of my dresses for me when I was young -- though I only wore dresses to school. As soon as I got home I changed into overalls, handed down from my brothers. I hated dresses at the time -- they required that I wear long stockings with them, and it was all too fussy for me.