Saturday, November 10, 2007

Refrigerator

There's a web site on the internet that asks people to post photos of the contents of their refrigerators. Since it's a slowish news day and very gray outside, I'm posting here my fridge.


In my Wednesday discussion with the English teacher now employed in the Japanese School System (ETNEITJSS), she recounted a dispute that she was having with the Japanese teacher she sometimes assists and who fancies himself an expert on English, an assertion that is disputed by ETNEITJSS. They were disagreeing about the way to shorten the word "refrigerator" to make it easier to remember and to fit into the lyrics of a song he was making up. He wanted to use "ref" and in fact had put it in the song and used it in the rhyme scheme. ETNEITJSS was firm in her stand that he should use "fridge" as the shorthand term and that he should fix up the song to work with her word. The head teacher, the hardheaded old fart, was the winner, because he is the head teacher. Such is the way of the world. The losers are the kids who are trying to learn American English. How do you like the picture of my "ref?"

There was geezer tennis on Saturday at Woodbury. 4-6, 6-4. The ages of the gang of geezers today: 67, 65, 63, 59. Number of artificial hips: at least 2, unless Jerry had both of his replaced, then 3. I think I'll ask him. There will be another one sometime this winter when Tennis Dennis goes under the knife.

The Herbster is off to Chicago for the weekend, driving Mr Green, his trusty Corolla.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kinda interesting, oddly. Is that a rhutabega? (Or however it is spelled.)

Ref, eh? So even the Japanese have the 'too soon old, too late smart' crowd. ~ SS

Jimi said...

SS, Yes, indeed a rutabaga. I have almost as hard a time spelling it as I used to have trying to eat it. It's actually a variety of turnip, I'm told, sometimes called a Swedish turnip.

I'm not sure why I bought it. There was some sort of vague plan to make stew, but its been resting in the veggie drawer for a while now, waiting for a round "to-it". TT

Anonymous said...

Where's the steam?

Anonymous said...

Steam's in the door. TT