Monday, November 5, 2007

Flurries

My email provider contained a brief message from the Kagami Sensei this morning. She sent it using her cell phone, a common practice in the Land of the Rising Sun. I knew it was from her cell phone because of the subject line, "don't reply to this address!". This is a necessary warning because her cell phone input queue will only receive about 30 characters of text before it overflows and causes great consternation. (I have, in the past, negligently replied to a cell phone message and caused consternation and a possibly higher cell phone bill for KS.) The short message, "i have another request: picture of me skating if u have one. ASAP!", also was evidence that she was on her cell and didn't want a photo file arriving on her underpowered phone. I was able to round up six photos from the 7 or so years that she figure skated and participated in the Roseville Ice Show, "Everything is Coming Up Roses". I scanned them in and mailed them off to her yahoo email site and then decided to include one of them on this blog. This is from April of 1998 and shows her doing a spin while weearing her costume for that year. You may notice in the background, her "baby cousin" doing a similar manuver.


There were snow flurries today as I ventured out to the Parc de Comeau to get some walking around time. The wind was fierce and the omens seem to point to an old fashioned Minnesota winter.

There was geezer tennis tonight at Wooddale. We had a sub for one of the regulars and it made for an interesting and strategic match. I had Tennis Dennis as my partner for both sets and we won both by very skimpy margins, 7-6, 6-4. We had to rescue two set points against us in the first set and the tiebreaker was nip and tuck. (I think we were nip!) There was much good natured taunting and guffawing, and at the end of the evening the turkey trophy for lowest score went home with someone else - Bill, I think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photo, nice trip down memory lane. And figure skating seems like an appropriate subject on a day with snow flurries and bluster. Sounds like you're having about the same weather we are. Stay warm.

Anonymous said...

I am soooo slow. Parc de Comeau, indeed. Very amusing. And good tennis-ing, from the sounds of it. (My office is very, very cold. Be glad you are fully retired.) SS

Anonymous said...

I love that picture. Thanks for sharing (and thanks, KS, for requesting).
I missed the snowflakes yesterday but I guess there will be more to come!
BB