Monday, November 19, 2007

One Seventy Six

It was a dark and dank day in St Paul. The Air Quality Index was 125 "Unhealthy for sensitive groups." meaning that "People with respiratory or heart disease, the elderly and children should avoid prolonged exertion." I guess there was some sort of weather inversion which traps all exhaust and particulate material in the breathing space of the populace. The weather guys wouldn't have approved my tennis plans, but at least I played inside. Curt was back from his winter digs in Arkansas for Thanksgiving and filled in for Jerry who is not yet back from the nationals. We had two hard fought sets 6-7, 6-3. The air inside Wooddale was not a problem, but it smells a little evil outside.

I finally played a whole evening with the racket I bought on eBay and restrung myself. Although supposedly identical, it plays somewhat differently from my usual racket, a little deader in the sweet spot, requiring a purer hit to get the satisfying feel of a shot well struck. I am likely to go back to the other racket for day to day action.

There wasn't much of beauty to be found outside today. There was this brave maple leaf, still hanging on. It's not the last leaf on the tree, but it's getting close to the end. I took the picture and am posting it on this blog.


This is my 176th entry on the Tennis Tousan blog. Who knew that it would go on this long?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another good use of 'dank.' Air quality issues are rare this time of year, I think. I'm at 187 posts, with at least a few more to go. Emily's challenge probably postponed a slowdown in blogging activity. I usually blog about events that occur outside. I may have to get more creative here, very soon. SS