Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Election Day 2007

The first Tuesday in November is the traditional time to vote in this country. I heard some explanation today about why November and why Tuesday were selected for the day to vote. Apparently the choice was made in the 1840's when most of the people in the country were engaged in agriculture. There could be no voting during times when the agrarian economy required labor. Thus November. Tuesday was chosen because it was far enough from the Sabbath, when good Christian farmers couldn't travel to town to do anything including to vote. Also Tuesday was good because then everyone had enough time after Sunday to travel to the polling place by horse and buggy. No one has seen fit to change the standard election day since then, so voter turnout is always low compared to civilized countries. This may explain our current political leadership.

This is my polling place, Linwood Community Center. I walked there this afternoon in about five minutes.


This is the door to the building with the sign indicating that I had arrived at the right location.


The voting area, a gymnasium, was devoid of other active voters when I arrived. There were five or six poll workers to make sure that my franchise was not compromised.

There was a race for city council, Ward 2, for which a single vote was expected, and the school board race in which I could have voted for up to four aspirants. I voted for three, all minorities in one way or another. I guess, in the larger sense,we all belong to one minority or another. I, for instance, belong to the geezer minority.

I expect to report results when they become available, unless I forget, or it seems just not important enough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wireless, coached by GZ, participated in a memorable (most swearing ever by opposing team) basketball game at this site. I believe Roseville won.
I also vaguely remember taking KS and Wireless ice skating here one winter. Correct?
BB

Jimi said...

There used to be an outdoors rink here when we used to have winter. There is also an indoor rink on Pleasant Ave. not too far from this building - about three blocks east.

Swearing at basketball games should be discouraged. Easier said than done. TT

Emily said...

I remember that team. They were really not happy that these suburban girls were beating them. At their more or less home court to boot. Good times. :)

Gino said...

As I recall the incident, one of their guards swore at Tracy Kegler and strongly intimated that physical violence might be next, expecting Tracy to be intimidated. Tracy swore right back and offered in return a threat of her own which was convincing enough to bring to an end the entire attempted intimidation. Tracy was not an easy kid to scare.

We won rather easily.

Anonymous said...

I vote at the church -- mixing religion and politics is big here. SS