Thursday, November 8, 2007

Domo-Kun

There were a few other things memorable about the curling adventure last night. There was a photographic exercise going on, too. It's an ongoing attempt by Wireless to place Domo-Kun, the culture maven, in lots of photos. There is a rumor that she's taking the little cutie to Paris for more pics. I have a photo of the posing of Domo-Kun, on the ice at SPCC, who is being aided by Mr. Moohoo.


There is also tennis news. There is a report that Germany's top player, Tommy Haas, was poisoned before the Davis Cup match with Russia in Moscow. The Russians won the match and moved on to the finals. If the poisoning is true, it is a very shocking incident, and something that no sport wants to be part of its events.

And another news report that I stumbled upon and which I'd like some more expert opinion. The translation from French to English in this piece is odd and resembles the fractured Engrish that sometimes emanates from Japanese translations. The quote follows:

(AFP) AFP.com | Agence France-Presse, a global news agency had this quote from French tennis player, Marion Bartoli when told that Pierce Brosnan was watching her play:
"'The world's most beautiful man was here, actually taking an interest in me!,' she said. 'And I'm here playing like a spud. I thought it would be a good time to actually play some tennis.'
Brosnan risked being misunderstood if he had made his amusement known publicly, but he is said to have laughed like a drain secretly."

The last part is the perplexing part. What phrase was translated, " laughed like a drain secretly"? How did they get to something so nearly meaningless? I have a theory, but it is perhaps puny. Wireless??

There was tennis, mixed doubles with the hard core girls at Wooddale tonight. It was the last Thursday night before our opponents. Jerry and Becky, are off to the 7.0 mixed doubles national tournament in Las Vegas. We split sets tonight, 4-6, 6-4, and ran out of time before we could get very far into the third. It was a draw, and the hard core girls went home satisfied with the result.

[My theory about "laughed like a drain secretly" is that it means "chortled to himself" in some sort of Frenchy jargon.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice addition to M&M's series.

Doping is bad, poisoning -- that is shocking.

It sounds like good tennis. I always like to hear how the hard core girls are doing. I gather from your photo that curling has a few hard core girls as well. SS

Anonymous said...

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my story. The reason I had the Steenstra cookies is because those were the cookies involved in the 'electioneering' charge. They were displayed prominently in every news story about this for about two days. So I had to buy some and try them. They are gingery, with a few almonds in them. Very crisp, no chocolate chips. ~SS

Emily said...

I think I need the French version of that phrase to help you out at all with this. I don't know French idioms well enough to have it off the top of my head. Do you know if there's a French version available?

Jimi said...

M&M: I don't have a French language equivalent. The Marion Bartoli article came from a google search and I don't have access to the original. I thought you might have an explanation, but I'm happy with my wild guess. TT