Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Gaggle

It was really a not so bad day today. It was a little chilly to ride a bike or play badminton outside, but I knew that I was scheduled for tennis at Wooddale at 6:30, and that I'd curled two games at the curling club last night. My early day exercise regimen was light at best. As I was driving past the golf course at Como, I saw a large number of large birds walking about on the otherwise unoccupied golf course. I don't know which hole this is, but it's next to Lexington Avenue, across the avenue from Lake Como. The putting green can be seen in the background. This is probably the most geese that I've ever seen at one time. A gaggle of geese, a gargantuan gaggle of ganders, geese and goslings. They also qualify as wildlife. As I walked up to take the picture I was reminded by the condition of the turf why it is that many people think that geese are vermin. They are a very messy species.


The mixed doubles event at Wooddale was somewhat different tonight because Jerry and Becky are in Las Vegas to play in the national tournament for Level 7.0 mixed doubles teams. Their first match is tomorrow, and I'll be able to follow their progress on the USTA web site. They play a round robin of three matches, sort of like World Cup Soccer format, and then the top four teams, one from each round robin, go into a knock out format tournament on Sunday.

Tonight we played without the hardcore girls, but I expected strong competition from the subs - Bob and Jan. It was good tennis and competirive, and also fun. The hardcore girls will be back next week, as will Jerry.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss the tales of the hard core girls. An update when they return will have to suffice.

The possibility of geese photos exists here as well, but probably nothing the size of that group. But at least it gives me an idea for something to look for today. I didn't see any snow on the ground in your photo, so that's something to look forward to. SS

Anonymous said...

The geese are all facing the same direction. Any chance the wind was from the left?

Anonymous said...

SS; Left in the photo is generally the west. I don't really remember the direction of the wind, but it is likely that it was coming from the west, where our weather typically originates.

Did you notice that I neglected to use one of my favorite Beach Boys puns, (think deuce coupe)? I think the copyright is yours.
TT

Anonymous said...

I've noticed sea gulls lining up into the wind like that. I've never noticed it with geese before. (I appreciate your restraint on the Beach Boys pun.)