Saturday, November 24, 2007

Pie Are Squared

It was the evening of the family Thanksgiving pie party. We had nine adults and a dearth of under 25 year-olds. But we had a lot of pie, pizza variety from Papa Murphy and Papa John's (the two papas), and a pair of sugar free dessert pies, compliments of Andy and Tula. The salad that Mark and Peggy brought was very good and varied. There was a sampling of designer beer from Andy and also Gino and BB. We ate well. For the first time in several years we had both Adams in attendance. We talked and laughed and had a good time. This pie party is a long standing tradition and a good way to get together with a lot of the family that we don't always see very often, now that the urge to participate in the MSTRAM bike adventure has gone away.

The tennis playing continued this morning with the geezers at Wooddale, doubles as usual. I tried playing with my Wilson k Six One 95 that I restrung a few weeks back to reduce the tension in the strings from 55 to 50 pounds. I hoped to get some more power from the racket and a little more pop in the serve department. It played pretty well, and I managed to be on the winning side of the two sets we finished, but I'm still not satisfied with its play. The racket is a little too head heavy, and a little too heavy over all. I'm resolved to go back to the WILSON Hyper ProStaff 6.1 racket that I've been playing with lately, and have been for about eight years. Jerry was back from the USTA 7.0 nationals and I had a chance to listen to some of the stories from the matches. It sounded like they had a very good time. I'm looking forward to mixed doubles on Thursday with the hardcore girls to see how the balance may have shifted.

I'm signing up to be on an 8.0 Super Seniors team for the winter session. The team plays on Tuesday nights which fits my schedule nicely. It's a different set of geezers, but they are all 60 plus years old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Thanksgiving pie party sounds like a success. The end of our TRAM adventures does mean we see less of each other, but perhaps enjoy it more. I know I'm not eager to try those mass rides again. But those three rides were epic.

Equipment issues plague most sports, apparently. I find things I like about both of my road bikes -- and things I don't like. I haven't been on my winter bike yet this year, and there's always the Florida fleet. All provide different ride experiences. (Pie are round.)

Anonymous said...

I needed a better pun for Pi*R^2 (my title and the formula for the area of a circle.) I should have tried harder but I was tripped up by tryptophan.

The pie party was successful and the fridge is full of leftovers. I may even try another photo of its bloated condition. TT