Friday, November 9, 2007

Poetry Time

There has been some poetry showing up in various blogs lately, and none, so far is original. I'm stealing the idea for today. Or at least borrowing it. My poetry selection is not original either.

This is a poem that KS took to class in high school for poetry sharing day. I admit that I led her to the poem, but she was comfortable using it and even found it quite amusing. I wonder if it made any impact on the class. Maybe KS will comment. It always makes me chortle. Its a poem by Richard Brautigan, a hippie poet from San Francisco who died in 1984. He was briefly famous and still has a following according to his Wikipedia article. He wrote this poem in 1968 and it was part of his book of poetry, "The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster."


Albion Breakfast

For Susan

Last night (here) a long pretty girl
asked me to write a poem about Albion,
so she could put it in a black folder
that has albion printed nicely
in white on the cover.

I said yes. She's at the store now
getting something for breakfast.
I'll surprise her with this poem
when she gets back.


*Albion is a quaint name for Great Britain.

Today's photo was taken yesterday and demonstrates that there are burning bushes in St Paul that have not yet surrendered to winter. We had flurries today, but they all melted immediately. The photo was taken near the St. Thomas Seminary at the western end of Summit Avenue.



**Two straight blogs containing the word "chortle."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm familiar with that poem. I am enjoying the added variety that this daily blog challenge has inspired.

Nice photo -- I remember the area from the early 60's when I used to walk there -- the seminary had some cool gardens. I imagine it has changed substantially since then. SS