Monday, October 8, 2007

Twelve Days for a Maple Tree

The heat wave is over, probably for the year. The high today was 67 and it's back to 53 now, so it feels like October again. We had an inch and a half of rain today. The trees are beginning to change colors with a vengence. My backyard maple tree is pictured on September 26.


The maple tree on October 8, today. Twelve days later. It's changing colors on the way to winter.


Baseball is in the middle of playoffs. I think the Yankees were eliminated from contention tonight by the Cleveland team. I used to watch baseball faithfully, especially as a kid. Dad was a big Yankee fan and had stories about Ruth and Gehrig from the days of his youth. And since he coached baseball and filled us with the lore and magic of major leaguers, I was a big Yankee fan. It was the days of Mantle, Maris, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, and all those names from the great teams of the 50's and 60's. This week is playoff time and I can't even name all the teams, but I know that there are a lot of millionaires playing the game. This is the era of Steinbrenner. I guess that I lost that loving feelin'.

And steroids strike down Marian Jones. I guess that it isn't just bikers and aging home run hitters that have connections to the Balco Lab. She seemed so clean and honest, too.

There was tennis today again, three sets at the indoor Wooddale club with the regular set of geezers. It was good tennis again, long points and good competition. No blood was shed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baseball on the radio. An audio experience instead of a video one. Tell the maple tree nice job. The leaves will be gone soon. Indoor tennis will be the norm from now on, I expect. SS