Thursday, October 25, 2007

Curling Season Sweeps In

The Halloween season is in full bloom. A lot of people in St Paul go all out in decorating their houses in hopes of scaring the bejesus out of the tuskers that come to their door for candy. While riding through the neighborhood I ran across a couple of pretty good examples. I don't know of any contest for the largest witch in town, but the first one has the largest witch that I have seen and represents some real labor in getting it affixed to the roof.


This one has a nice array of scary items and seems pretty well turned out. I have seen others about that may need to be photographed, too. Two years ago, when KS went to Japan to teach, she brought a Halloween costume with her, at her boss's request, for the school Halloween program. She also asked me to send some photos of decorated homes to show to the kids, because they don't have the same tradition of dolling up their homes for the holiday. I seems to a USA thing. So I've scouted out some of the decorations in this area, too.


Yesterday was the kickoff of the curling season. We had a game at 4:50 and another at 9 pm, so I spent a lot of the day in the curling club. My team in each case came out a little short on the scoreboard, but it's early in the season yet, and we may develop into a force in the leagues. Anyway, it's just curling.

There was tennis tonight at Wooddale. It was a session of mixed doubles with the hardcore girls and Jerry. It's always fun to play, and there are always some good points and one or two seemingly miraculous points. Tonight, I can remember two. You had to be there to appeciate them, however, because there is no video at Wooddale. We finished two sets and started a third before being evicted from the court by the next renter. 6-4, 6-4 were the scores.

The Red Sox won the first game of the Series in Boston. Sox beat Rox 13-1.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Halloween photos. I've not seen anything that elaborate here. How does that witch stay up there in a big wind? I wondered if Jerry and the hard core girls were part of the indoor tennis playing -- sounds like fun.