Monday, October 1, 2007

High Tech Windmill

There has been a request for a photo of this windmill. It's functional, but not traditional. It stands on the Macalester College campus near the athletic field and the tennis courts. I actually noticed it a couple of years ago because I played quite a bit of tennis there during the summer and the windmill is close, pretty tall and hard to miss.


I also include for completeness the information about the wind turbine that is posted nearby. The photo is also somewhat of a self-portrait, blurred but unmistakeable.


There was tennis tonight outside. I went to the courts early for maintenance purposes. It rained yesterday and I was pretty sure that there would be puddles on the courts. And the leaves from the trees just outside the fence have been falling inside. I brought a barn broom and a rake. I ended up mostly using the broom and by the time we began play the court was dry and nearly leaf free, and I was well warmed up. We played three sets with various combinations of players: 6-4, 6-0, 6-1. Bill brought his "turkey trophy" to be presented to the guy who wins the fewest total games during the night. It's a way to rub a guy's nose into his failures on nights when he's not playing well, I guess. I was able to avoid carrying the trophy home with me, but it is meant to be a traveling trophy and thus will be back Wednesday. If I win it, I'll probably think of a way to turn it to ash.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, it is NOT a windmill. False advertising? Nice picture, however, and informative.
Great picture of the rain yesterday, by the way.
BB

Anonymous said...

BB - From my on-line dictionary:
wind·mill [wind-mil] –noun
1. any of various machines for grinding, pumping, etc., driven by the force of the wind acting upon a number of vanes or sails.
2. (loosely) a wind generator; wind plant.

So the Mac info posting is (loosely) wrong. The wind thing is a (loosely) windmill. Or, you could sue me. You know who my lawyer is. TT

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the windmill posting, it's pretty high tech, but functional. Interesting. As far as theme day goes, I check a daily photo blog in Singapore on the last day of the month -- the guy likes to post early in his day and thus I get a little head start. With the help of time zones and date lines. I don't care do the official sign-up thing, but I often enjoy participating in a loose sort of way.

Anonymous said...

Some people do the reflections thing on purpose. I've seen quite a bit of it on photo blogs. SS

Anonymous said...

TT, your response to my post made me LOL-- a good thing on this dreary morning.
Aren't dictionaries wonderful?
BB