Saturday, October 20, 2007

Three Bridges to Home

The day was another gift from the summer gods. The geezer gang met at 9 am to play some doubles. There were eight of us, so we used Bill's cards to determine partners. I drew Tennis Dennis, he with the knee brace, and we played two sets together before he had enough tennis and had to quit. 7-6, 6-0, although we weren't playing all that well. We were accused of using age and experience against the young whipper-snappers (guys in their fifties and sixties). The other court had another instance wherein everyone forgets the score of the game and then argues about it until the argument has to be settled by a racket spin. No one got hurt.

It was also a good day to have a bike ride and perhaps get to another goal, although it's only about an eighth of Santini's 3000. I took a triangular route, crossing three river bridges and getting home after 18 total miles. I crossed the Mississippi at Ford Parkway, passed Minnehaha Falls, rode down along the river to Pike Island, and climbed the big hill by Fort Snelling. I continued by crossing the Minnesota River on the Mendota Bridge, rode through Mendota to Lilydale and crossed the Mississippi again on the 35E bridge. It was a good ride, except a time or two, when the Moron family surfaced and tried to knock me off the bike.

I have some photos from the day, but Blogger is acting up tonight and won't allow me to upload any of them. So they will have to wait until another day

I'm watching major league baseball tonight, the ALCS. The Red Sox are roughing up the Indians in Boston. It's the first of the playoff games that I've seen this year. They are still playing by the same rules as last year. (10-1 in the 3rd inning.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny story about the geezer tennis group forgetting the score. Also a very nice bike ride story. I'm glad you got a break in your soggy weather.

Santini said...

Did you hit the 400 mile mark yet?